Boost Your College Application
Get Your Research Article Published!
Description: Emerging Innovators Research Program focuses on equipping High School students with the knowledge and skills needed to develop and design Human-Centric Solutions and write their conceptual scientific solutions in the form of a university level Research Article.
Students learn how to find new ideas and strategies in science and engineering, and apply those discoveries to solve real-world problems. Currently, science is taught through textbooks where past discoveries are documented and students learn those facts. Their creativity is limited to only applying those facts and testing it. Overtime, this way of teaching science and engineering diminished the importance of theoretical discoveries.
Industries have noted this gap and are now adopting this new way of discovery. Universities are now starting to offer post-graduate specializations utilizing these areas. In the industry this is called as the 2030 methodology, and most of the transformational innovations coming out in the next decade will be adopting it.
Children’s Innovation Center, in Newark CA, has created a unique interdisciplinary curriculum to bring this trending opportunity now to our high-school students.
- Students must be willing to explore new topics and widen their knowledge.
- Students MUST participate in all activities, have sincere interest in learning.
- Students must be reading and writing at High school level.
- Have aspiration to bring positive changes to humanity and this planet.
NOTE: This program is not for students with special needs.
Timeframe & Fees:
- Summer Session: 4 weeks full-day camps, Mon to Fri from 9 AM to 3 PM.
- School Year - Two Semesters (13 weeks x2): 26 weeks-one class per week.
- Group In-person Program Tuition Fees: $2700 per student - includes publication fees.
Instructor & Mentor:
- Shanti Balaraman who will be teaching and mentoring this program has more that 20+ years corporate experience. She's a pioneer in nature-inspired innovations and has been involved in human-centric solutions and adopted whole system design thinking for more than 12+ years.
- Shanti developed this interdisciplinary curriculum. Over the years, she has trained professionals on innovation methodologies and since then has been passionate to teach the next generation students acquire these important skills.
- Limited number of students every year have the unique opportunity to learn and be mentored by Ms. Shanti Balaraman, President of Stanford University Chapter of Sigma Xi - The Scientific Research Honor Society.
- She is devoted to the promotion of research in science and helps students build the skills needed to conduct scientific research and develop innovative solutions to solve real-world problems.
- The Published Research Article could be mentioned in the college applications, as it adds weight for Science, Engineering, and Business majors
- The Instructor/Research mentor, could give additional letter of recommendation in the college application.
- The Published Research Article could also be mentioned under “Publications” section of the resume
- Students Research Work/Article could be used for High-School Senior Research/Capstone Project. It also meets the CAS project and/or the Extended Essay requirements for IB graduation.
- Students could present their research work at various conferences and events.
- Students could take their newly acquired knowledge to next steps, and compete in any science or design competitions such as the Biomimicry Youth Design Challenge
- Builds various soft skills as students go through this program
Depending on the colleges and based on their supplementary questions in the application, student's research and experience could be mentioned as a response to several types of questions, as it helps to highlight student's out-of-the-box thinking, intellectual curiosity to learn outside of school curriculum, demonstrates passion and ability to solve real-life problems.
Individual Author Research Article Publishing Opportunity
(Colleges prefer to see research publication when the student is the primary author)
Looking for ONLINE research program?
1:1 online program - can be started any time of the year.- For 9th to 12th graders
Duration is 10 to 12 weeks and is scheduled based on both student and instructor schedule mutual convenience.
Summer 2022 Research Program - 4 Weeks - for Rising 9th to 12th Graders
Enroll Early to confirm your seat! LIMITED SEATS only.
June 20, 2022 to July 15, 2022 (July 4th holiday)
Monday to Friday - 9 AM to 3 PM
Emerging Innovators Research Publication - Online Science Journal
High School Students Research Articles reviewed by professionals (not peer reviewed) and then published.
This is the only science journal focused on human-centric solutions, which requires interdisciplinary knowledge application and requires students to use "Design Thinking" or "Whole-System Design Thinking" process.
About Sigma Xi: Sigma Xi was founded in 1886 to honor excellence in scientific investigation and encourage a sense of companionship and cooperation among researchers in all fields of science and engineering.
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Honor Society is the international honor society of science and engineering. One of the oldest and largest scientific organizations in the world, Sigma Xi has a distinguished history of service to science and society for more than 125 years. Scientists and engineers, whose research spans the disciplines of science and technology, comprise the membership of the Society. More than 200 Nobel Prize winners have been members.
Data and design thinking to shape the future of medicine, Stanford Medicine X | ED speakers say
“How is our experience with health care so bad at times? I think part of it is that health care wasn’t designed. It literally just happened by accident,” said Ku, the assistant dean for health and design at Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University.
He offered a list of “design fails,” ranging from hospital gowns that fly open to X-ray images that can’t be transferred into a patient’s electronic record. He showed oral and rectal thermometers that looked exactly alike, and described how emergency departments have been known to reach the sound level of a highway or vacuum cleaner. “It’s a passion of mine to think about how to cure our terminally ill health system,” Ku said.
By, Amy Jeter Hansen - Published on April 30, 2018
Design Thinking Brings Innovation to Health Care & Medical Education
Associate Professor Jyothi Marbin, MD, Director of the Pediatrics Leadership for the Underserved Residency (PLUS) program, is applying design thinking to help students and residents thrive at UCSF. She is applying this model for a human-centered, adaptive approach to train residents in the PLUS Program on key design thinking concepts.
By, Kacey Berry, MS2 - October 19, 2018
How to apply Design Thinking in Healthcare
Design Thinking in Patient Care
Patient care is not just about exchanging pleasantries and moving ahead with the treatment. When you apply Design thinking to this process, you will uncover ways in which care goes beyond the treatment.
By Quovantis - Oct 6, 2017
The Quest to Mimic Nature’s Trickiest Colors
An artist struggles to reproduce the iridescence of the natural world
It took a year of experimentation to understand how to turn the powder into a spreadable paint and mix it without destroying its optical qualities.
by, ELI KINTISCH - JULY 16, 2015