ONLINE Research Program - For Accelerated Learners in High School
Requirement: Student must be self-motivated and be interested in learning, especially science. Must be curious to learn new areas, follow instructions diligently, participate in all discussions/activities and complete all tasks on-time within 10 to 12 weeks.
**Student must pass the phone interview to be selected for this online program
Looking for In-Person Research Program?
Check out the details and schedules for our in-person classes
Emerging Innovators Research Program - Accelerated Online Course
Description: Emerging Innovators research program focuses on equipping High School students with the knowledge and skills needed to design human-centric solutions using whole system design thinking process and write their conceptual scientific solutions in the form of a university level research article.
Students learn how to find new ideas and discoveries in science and engineering and apply those discoveries to solve real-world problems. Currently, science is taught through textbooks where past discoveries are documented and students learn those facts. Their creativity is limited to only applying those facts and testing it. Overtime, this way of teaching science and engineering diminished the importance of theoretical discoveries.
Industries have noted this gap and are now adopting this new way of discovery. Universities are now starting to offer post-graduate specializations utilizing these areas. In the industry this is called as the 2030 methodology, and most of the transformational innovations coming out in the next decade will be adopting it.
Children’s Innovation Center, in Newark CA, has created a unique curriculum to bring this trending opportunity now to our high-school students.
The Online Course assumes that student is capable of:
- Student must have patience, be willing to explore new topics and widen their knowledge.
- Enjoy solving problems, have the perseverance and commitment to work diligently and follow mentor's guidance
- Student must be reading and writing at high school level
- Aspire to contribute positively to humanity and this planet
With the above assumptions, the online course will start with the Analytical Thinking lessons and activities to build exploration, observation, and questioning skills. We will then transition to the advanced level-STEM-Plus portion of our Emerging Innovators Program..
- The Online Class will meet via ZOOM once or twice a week for about10 weeks at the scheduled time.
- Attendance is mandatory. There will be about 1 to 2 hours of homework initially and then about 5 to 6 hours of homework between live sessions, as we progress through the program in-order to complete the research and writing.
- We will use online shared documents, which will be reviewed by the instructor and feedback will be given in-between the live classes.
- The program activities will enable student to explore, and identify their own topics. The final research topic will be aligned with the student's career / academic aspirations.
- Student should aim to complete this program in about 10 to 12 weeks
Instructor & Mentor:
- Shanti Balaraman who will be teaching and mentoring this program has more that 20+ years corporate experience. She's a pioneer in nature-inspired innovations and has been involved in human-centric solutions and adopted whole system design thinking for more than 12+ years.
- Shanti developed this interdisciplinary curriculum. Over the years, she has trained professionals on innovation methodologies and since then has been passionate to teach the next generation students acquire these important skills.
- Limited number of students every year have the unique opportunity to learn and be mentored by Ms. Shanti Balaraman, President of Stanford University Chapter of Sigma Xi - The Scientific Research Honor Society.
- She is devoted to the promotion of research in science and helps students build the skills needed to conduct scientific research and develop innovative solutions to solve real-world problems.
Please Note: Only fully completed research articles that meets the required quality will be eligible for publication. The instructor will make every effort to provide timely feedback/suggestions and will continuously mentor the student through their research. However, it depends on the student, how they utilize this opportunity.
Are you ready to take this accelerated course? Are you determined to work-hard and complete the research and the article to the expected quality?
Questions? (510) 894-1497 - info@ChildrensInnovationCenter.org - Please always provide your phone number with your email, and remember to add our email address to your contacts. Sometimes, emails could go to the SPAM folder, so please remember to check and move the emails to your inbox.
Ready to Proceed? Register using the link below. The online live class times will be scheduled based on mutually convenient times. The full payment is required before the first class.
Online Research Program 1:1 Class
The ONLINE 1:1 tuition fees is $3,400. It includes the following:
- Publication of Research Article is included if it meets the expected quality
- A chance to write a "Research Reflections" blog if the student is interested, which will also be published
Pay via Zelle to "GreenKidsNow@hotmail.com" - no additional fees added
Please make the full tuition payment and submit the below registration form
The Purpose of Research Reflections Blog:
Reflection is a process where students describe their learning, how it changed, and how it might relate to future learning experiences. It is a skill that often goes undervalued in classrooms. However, reflection is an important practice for students to make sense of and grow from a learning experience, and it is a practice that would benefit students tremendously. Practicing reflective writing helps with college and beyond.
Individual Author Research Article Publishing Opportunity
(Colleges prefer to see research publication when the student is the primary author)
Emerging Innovators Research Publications
High School Students Research Articles reviewed by professionals (not peer reviewed) and then published.
This is the only science journal focused on human-centric solutions, which requires interdisciplinary knowledge application and requires students to use "Design Thinking" or "Whole-System Design Thinking" process.
About Sigma Xi: Sigma Xi was founded in 1886 to honor excellence in scientific investigation and encourage a sense of companionship and cooperation among researchers in all fields of science and engineering.
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Honor Society is the international honor society of science and engineering. One of the oldest and largest scientific organizations in the world, Sigma Xi has a distinguished history of service to science and society for more than 125 years. Scientists and engineers, whose research spans the disciplines of science and technology, comprise the membership of the Society. More than 200 Nobel Prize winners have been members.