What is STEM Plus Course?
This advanced interdisciplinary workshop equips the students with knowledge and practice to go beyond the existing subject-matters and prepares them on the path with the ability to make new scientific and engineering discoveries,
Advanced Level - STEM-Plus Course
Learning to be an Innovator
A unique workshop that teaches the new nature inspired methodologies and principles for Systems/Solutions Design Thinking and the Art of Sustainable Innovation, the much needed “STEM Plus” skill-sets for the 21st century!
Prerequisite: This advanced workshop requires the students to have completed at least two of our Foundational Courses. However, to be successful in this course we highly recommend completing all 4 STEAM foundational Courses
This level of knowledge is currently introduced at graduate level when creativity of an individual is diminished. It is crucial to impart this high-level knowledge to our current Grades 4-12 students so they could tap into their natural curiosity and creativity and become the leaders among the next generation of innovators and change-makers.
- Students learn and practice Design-Thinking which is a skill that could be mentioned in their resume
- The published Research Article could also be mentioned under “Publications” section of the resume
- Students Research Article could count towards their High-School Senior Research Project
- The published Research Article could be mentioned in their college applications especially it adds weight for Science and engineering majors
- The Instructor, who is also a STEM mentor, could give additional letter of recommendation in the college application as a STEM Mentor.
- Students could present their Research Article in various conferences and events, and even participate in design challenges such as the Global Youth Design Challenge.
- Builds various soft skills as students go through this program
- Students who wish to pursue further, are eligible to join our Youth Leadership Program that would offer leadership coaching and mentoring and opportunities to earn Community Service credits. (please note: we are also a certifying org for the President’s Volunteer Service Awards)
Skills gained at the end of Learning to be an Innovator Workshop
"I loved the course. I took a biomimicry course at Children’s Innovation Center which taught about sustainability and how we, as innovators, can move forward in society with our practices in the process of manufacturing goods that solve humanity’s problems. Throughout high school, I’ve never learned or heard of biomimicry which shows how unique this class is. My college counselor (who’s been doing her job for almost 20 years now) was also fascinated by my research during this program and said she had never read anything like it. I believe this program can provide an edge for all students to familiarize themselves with the concepts as our society is continually moving forward in technological advancements, but I definitely think it is more beneficial to start earlier on. For me, a high school senior, I wish I knew about Shanti and her program four years ago cause then I could’ve fully utilized her resources and expertise. However, I did enjoy her class still, and it actually shifted my career interests. I’m thankful for Shanti and her aid and availability with any of my questions in the course as well as during the college application process. I’m excited to possibly further my research from what I began at Children’s Innovation Center as I take my next steps into college. “ - Evelyn, student 12th grade
“I wanted to inform you how much impact your 8 weeks course has on my daughter. She didn't see herself liking computer related field until your program. She enjoyed it so much and have learnt a great deal that she wrote her college application essay on the work she had done in your course. Now, she finds herself wanting to learn more about Programing and other interesting technology courses you have to offer. Thank you so much for opening her eyes to this amazing world of technology! Your programs are truly unique! She is now getting ready for college, feeling confident, and wanting to major in engineering!” – Fallon, parent of 12th Grader
Sample of Student Research and Experimentation
Ready to find out more?
Read the Research Article
Research Article written by Student
Title: Power-lines Fire Terminator
Author: Amita Gowda, Grade 7
Publication Date: 11/03/2018
Abstract: The purpose of this research article is to design an original solution for an observation of an issue. My observation was on the wild-fires in California and the frequent occurrences of it. When these wild-fires meets our power grid, it turns into electrical fires and causes horrific devastation.
With the current extreme weather conditions and drought in California, it is not possible to completely stop wild-fires, but we could minimize the impact by stopping the wild-fires from becoming electrical fires.
I applied the new nature inspired innovation methodology, called Biomimicry, to research biological models and designed a solution called, Power-lines Fire Terminator (PFT) that would help utility companies to take intelligent and swift actions proactively and avoid future devastation.